Equine Artificial Insemination
Warren House Veterinary Centre surgeons have been successfully performing the artificial insemination of horses for over 20 years! In this time the practice has gathered a huge amount of experience in all aspects of assisted reproductive techniques in horses.
In 1992 we performed the first successful frozen semen insemination in the UK, with semen actually frozen in the UK, achieving a pregnancy in one of John Newcombe’s own mares, foaling down in 1993. Every year Warren House Farm accepts over 100 mares for insemination using chilled or frozen semen.Artificial insemination does not exclusively have to occur at our fertility clinic. The practice also routinely examines mares at our clients’ yards or satellite surgeries, which enables the accurate timing of insemination with fresh or chilled semen.Warren House Veterinary Centre ( formerley Newcombe and East) is a BEVA certified AI practice for fresh, chilled and frozen semen.
Why Equine Artificial Insemination?
The use of artificial insemination has many advantages over natural cover/mating, these include:
- Mares can be bred by stallions that would otherwise be inaccessible, eg. from other countries, or those competing/training.
- Mares and foals do not need to be transported to the stallion, avoiding the stress and expense involved.
- Training and competition schedules need not be disrupted.
- Injuries resulting from natural cover ( eg.kicks to stallion) eliminated and reduced risk of injuries to staff involved.
- Reduced risk of venereal disease transmission.
Chilled or Frozen Semen?
When you are deciding what kind of semen you are going to use for your mare there are a number of factors to take into consideration:
- Is the stallion of your choice available in chilled (delivery within 24 hr.), frozen or maybe both?
- Your mare: what is her age, is she maiden, etc? E.g. in general, older maiden mares are harder to get into foal and therefore you might want to go for chilled instead of frozen.
- Are you prepared to leave your mare with us? For using frozen semen the insemination has to be timed more accurately than chilled and therefore your mare has to be living with us for a number of days. For using chilled semen this is not always necessary
If you would like us to advise you on what type of semen is most suitable for your mare, do not hesitate to contact us.
GET IN TOUCH
Monday - Friday: 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM
Saturday 9:00 AM to 11:30 AM
Consultations by Appointment Only
We provide a friendly personal and professional service, with our OWN 24 hour, 7 day a week emergency cover.
This Out of Hours service is for registered clients only.
Phone: 01543 373033
Fax: 01543 375852
Lichfield Road, Brownhills, West Midlands WS8 6LS